Layar is a young and ambitious company located in the heart of Amsterdam.
With 30 million downloads of the Layar App, Layar is the worldwide leader in augmented reality and interactive print. With the Layar Creator, Layar is pioneering the interactive print movement and paving the way for a more robust future for the publishing industry in a digital age.
Below you will find our current vacancies. Please use the corresponding link to apply for each of the vacancies, do not mail us directly as we will anyway ask you to use the form to apply.
Feel like you could add value to Layar but don't see a matching vacancy? Send in that resume anyway, we're always open to applications. Please submit your application here. We're also continually on the lookout for interns, so let us know if you're interested!
Agency calls are not appreciated.
We are looking for a quick learner who will assist in the Sales, Business Development and Marketing departments. In the midst of expansion, we need someone to conduct market research regarding relevant industries and countries as well as assist in improving the pre-sales experience.
You will be involved in the day-to-day activity of the Sales and Business Development department, such as administrative procedures and client liaison. You will also support the development of our international Partner Network.
We provide you with a hands-on learning experience in sales and marketing, as well as the opportunity to be part of a growing company.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Global client and marketing research
- Lead qualification
- Sales administration
- Marketing support
Desired skills & experiences:
- Fluent English (written and spoken)
- Dutch/French/German an advantage
- 3rd- or 4th-year student and currently enrolled at a Dutch University
- Preferably studying international business and/or marketing
Layar is a front-runner in mobile AR technology, aiming to stretch the technologies provided by iOS and Android to their limits. Our app is used by millions of users every month worldwide and needs to be the best in its class, our goal being to grow it to one of the top apps worldwide. Our app is backed by a strong server-side platform and has been built by a small team of very talented engineers.
We are now seeking a computer vision engineer to join our R&D team who can help bringing our technology to the next level. You will be part of a strong R&D team that builds some of the core technologies that integrate in the app and our back-ends using C++ (and some Assembly where appropriate) to achieve the best performance.
Layar is continuously improving its Augmented Reality and image recognition technologies. Augmented Reality is still for most people a new concept and a non-natural experience. Therefore it is of crucial importance that our customers can enjoy a consistent and seamless experience, regardless of what object they point their camera at. To that end, we are extending the types of objects we can recognize and augment. In addition, robustness and speed of our app are two key criteria that make it easier for people to experience AR and to this end we are also aiming to move beyond the planar pose estimation case.
You will be implementing the latest technologies in the fields of image recognition, natural feature tracking and feature-based 3D reconstruction and also be responsible for building and delivering new features on our roadmap. The ideal candidate will be flexible, self-motivated, and loves performing product-oriented research as well as writing excellent code.
You will be reporting to the CTO, joining a small team of enthusiastic developers that are stretching mobile technologies to the limits of the available device capabilities. You will:
- Research and implement the latest real-time computer vision algorithms
- Improve performance and extend the capabilities of our product
- Work closely with the lead computer vision R&D engineer
- Architect, develop and maintain a shared code base to be used in our Android and iOS clients or server-side in our back-ends
As computer vision R&D engineer, we expect you to have PhD-level academic experience, as well as a proven track record of practical experience in the areas of image retrieval, natural feature tracking and multi-view geometry. Experience with artificial intelligence and/or pattern recognition techniques is a plus. Outstanding programming capabilities are absolutely essential.
In order to ensure the highest quality, we require:
- An excellent academic record and a strong mathematical mindset; in particular a good understanding of calculus and linear algebra.
- 8+ years of experience with modern C++ and the capability to write clean and maintainable code across a large and growing code base. You are able to write elegant and performant code at a high abstraction level, judiciously using the latest C++ features.
- A very good understanding of software architecture and programming patterns and paradigms. You have experience with writing heavily multithreaded code.
- Flexibility to deal with a rapidly changing environment.
Preferably you also have
- Prior experience with programming mobile platforms, in particular with exploiting their hardware capabilities (CPUs/GPU) optimally.
- Experience with DVCS such as Mercurial.
Want to become part of the team? Click here to apply for this position.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and creative mind to help accelerate the adoption of our interactive print products. You will mainly be responsible for gathering the latest insights on interactive print and sharing valuable knowledge with customers via various channels to keep them engaged. Additionally, you can expect to be actively involved in sales activities, such as providing our customers with excellent service.
You will be reporting to the Customer Care Team lead, joining a small team that strives to provide customers with great support and services. Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Collect and share learnings and insights to help build up the knowledge base
- Create guidelines, best practices and presentations based on learnings and insights
- Perform various services, such as regular webinars about Layar products, campaign concept input, campaign review/evaluation, etc.
- Create engaging pre-sales demonstrations using Layar products for the sales team
We are looking for someone who meets the following requirements:
- Excellent documentation and presentation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Intermediate level of graphic design skills (e.g., Adobe Photoshop). Knowledge of other multimedia tools (e.g. video editing) is a plus.
- Fast learner and a team player with a positive attitude
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
We are looking for an experienced Python developer to strengthen our back-end team. You will be part of the team that builds the infrastructure and tooling that support our mobile app. The main challenges for the coming year will be to expand our set of APIs for 3rd party integration, re-engineer and scale our statistics and data warehouse capabilities and tailor our tools for both larger enterprises as well as the long tail consumer market.
You will play a key role in improving our software development process by practicing and evangelizing proper architecture, design and (automated) testing. Maintainability is the key to continuously expanding and scaling our distributed and heterogeneous platform; you will be an important contributor to making this happen.
You will be reporting to the Server Team Lead, joining a team of server developers with varied skills in web development, systems development, devops and QA.
Your primary roles will be to champion good software development practices in the team and to deliver high quality Python code. You will contribute to architecture and technical design of our back-end and of the Layar ecosystem as a whole.
As senior software engineer, we expect you to be an experienced coder and technical designer, with a proven track record of designing, building, delivering and maintaining multi-server, scalable systems. A passion for code quality is essential. You know not only to make a computer do what you want, but also how to build (and keep building) a complex software product, within a varied and dynamic team.
We are specifically looking for:
- A proven track record in working on heterogeneous and distributed systems.
- 4+ Years of Python development experience.
- Strong working knowledge of automated testing, design patterns, collaboration tools.
- Experience with distributed source control (e.g. Mercurial, Git).
- Flexibility to deal with a rapidly changing environment.
Preferably you also have
- Experience with Python frameworks such as Django and Twisted.
- Experience with Infrastructure-as-a-Service, preferably AWS.
- Excellent marksmanship with Nerf guns and/or good evasive reflexes.