We built in some really great stats into the Layar Creator which you can use to analyze your Creator campaigns. You can see views, clicks and users on the campaign, page and button level, and you can even export the data and play with it yourself.
Chris Cameron May 23, 2012
The following blogpost is from Claire Boonstra, co-founder and head of BizDev at Layar.
Recently, Layar has set its focus squarely on making print interactive with digital content by activating the pages of magazines, newspapers, flyers and posters with videos, links to websites and the ability to share to social networks.
Interactive print creates a new business opportunity for organizations that use the paper medium, such as publishers, advertisers, and brands with their own catalogues. As these organizations define the business case for interactive print, a new demand for detailed metrics is emerging.
We have crafted a whitepaper, titled Layar shows significant reach, conversion and click-through rates from paper to digital content. In it we include the key metrics defining the market potential for interactive paper, gathered from both external research agencies and our own internal metrics.
We provide figures for how many people are…
- able to use Layar - The number of people who have a smartphone capable of running Layar.
- using Layar now - The number of people who have installed and use Layar.
- using Layar with print - The number of people using Layar to view content on a print publication, or as we’re calling it, “conversion.”
- using Layar to click through - The number of people clicking through to the digital content from the paper, also known as “click-through rate” or “CTR.”
- Depending on the region, 8% - 38% of the global population currently owns a smartphone capable of running Layar. This is expected to grow to as high as 60% by 2016.
- The Layar application leads the market with over 20 million installations and between 2 and 3 million users who open the application each month (active users). Other AR apps see lower penetration figures on both Android and iPhone platforms.
- Magazine and newspaper campaigns see roughly 1% of total readers interacting with digital content via Layar.
- Of all digital content displayed in print, roughly 20% are clicked through to the underlying action (e.g., video, web-shop, mobile site, Facebook page, etc.).
To learn more, download the full report and dive into the numbers!
There aren’t a lot of publicly available statistics on the use of mobile augmented reality, let alone its use with interactive print. There has been a lot of hype around the subject and it’s time to just talk numbers.
With this document, we are aiming to kick-start a discussion about metrics and results achieved both with AR and with interactive print. We would love to hear your questions and remarks, so please leave us a comment below!